Pa Grape is a borderline-senile, yet wise and lovable old grape who is one of the main characters of VeggieTales.
Pa is originally from the hills of West Virginia. He speaks with a Yiddish accent and has some Jewish mannerisms such as saying "oy" and "oy vey". He is married to Ma Grape and has two children named Tom and Rosie.
Since then, Pa has gone on to be a main player in the VeggieTales series, playing a wide range of characters that reflect his paternal and peculiar personality. Some of his most well-know roles include Abraham in Abe and The Amazing Promise, Seymour Schwenk in The Star of Christmas, Mordecai in Esther... The Girl Who Became Queen, as well as being the leader and captain of The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything.
Outside of acting, Pa is usually seen giving sage advice to his friends and has shown an interest in inventing and tinkering.
Pa Grape is very wise and down-to-earth, often being a source of good advice to his friends and peers. He enjoys helping his friends and encouraging them to do what is right. In contrast, Pa isn’t afraid to have fun and be himself, which in turn, can make him look rather odd and slightly senile in the eyes of his peers. But at the end of the day, Pa is someone the VeggieTales crew can always rely on and trust through and through.
Pa is a pale green grape. He has a lavender nose with a bushy, light gray mustache and eyebrows. Despite not having any visible eyes, Pa often wears a pair of glasses with silver frames (though he occasionally wears a pair with gold frames as well). He also dons a black top hat with a red hat band around the crown.
For VeggieTales in the House, Pa was redesigned along with the rest of the VeggieTales cast. He was given a pair of beady black eyes (much like the French Peas), a bigger nose, and more rounded and stylized facial hair, with a mustache that permanently covered his mouth. Pa also gained a new larger and rounder pair of glasses without any temples as well as a smaller top hat.
Despite Pa's body, nose, and glasses not changing color in the Netflix series, his is incorrectly colored (dark green, red, and gold, respectively) in his promotional art used for the series and VeggieTales social media accounts.
- Like Larry, he had a slightly deeper voice during his first two appearances in God Wants Me to Forgive Them!?! and Are You My Neighbor?. Starting in Dave and the Giant Pickle, his voice got a little higher and eventually became more refined over time.
- He originally started out having southerner mannerisms, but those eventually evolved into Jewish and Brooklyn-esque mannerisms.
- Pa is one of the few characters to lack any visible eyes.
- In the VeggieTales Christmas Spectacular!, he admitted he couldn't read his cue card, saying, "How am I supposed to read the card? I ain't got no eyes!”
- During the pre-production of Big Idea's second feature film, Pa's outfit was initially designed to more closely resemble his classic pirate attire with no glasses and his eyebrows covered. Universal requested that Pa would be given eyes to let him show more emotion as a character. After having artists experiment with various concept sketches of Pa with eyes, the Big Idea team ultimately found the designs very unappealing. In the end, the solution was found by letting Pa wear his glasses with his pirate costume.
- In an interview with What's The Big Idea? Pa stated he was held back in the 2nd grade for 13 years.
- According to his official bio, if he weren't an actor, he'd be the inventor of the pneumatic toothbrush.
- In Little Things Matter, Pa revealed he has aunt named Agnes who likes to kick a lot.
|VeggieTales Main Cast|
|Bob • Larry|
|Junior Asparagus • Archibald Asparagus • Pa Grape • Laura Carrot • Jimmy and Jerry Gourd • Mr. Nezzer • Mr. Lunt • The French Peas • Madame Blueberry • Petunia Rhubarb • Qwerty|