|LarryBoy and the Cape-Coat Caper|
November 23, 2020
LarryBoy and the Cape-Coat Caper is the eleventh episode and the first Larry-Boy episode of The VeggieTales Show, which teaches a lesson in telling the truth.
When LarryBoy’s biggest super-fan, Callie Flower, accidentally wrecks the LarryMobile, she makes a not-so-good choice & lies, making up a story about how the accident happened. Callie’s lie causes trouble for LarryBoy & the residents of Bumblyburg lose faith in their superhero. Callie sees the hurt she has caused and tells the truth about the accident. Callie learns a valuable lesson straight from God’s word: always tell the truth!
- LarryBoy (Larry the Cucumber)
- Alfred (Archibald Asparagus)
- Laura Carrot
- Jimmy Gourd
- Callie Flower
- Adele Pepper
- Miss Minchin
- Mayor Blueberry (Madame Blueberry) (theme song only; mentioned in episode itself)
- Bob (theme song and newspaper cameo)
- The French Peas (theme song and newspaper cameo)
- Art Bigotti (picture cameo)
- Rumor Weed (glasses only)
- Ephraim Apply (portrait cameo)
- Junior Asparagus (theme song only)
- Pa Grape (theme song only)
- Jerry Gourd (theme song only)
- Mr. Lunt (theme song only)
- Petunia Rhubarb (theme song only)
- Bruce Onion (non-speaking role; theme song only)
- This is the first episode for several things:
- The first episode of The VeggieTales Show to take place outside of Mr. Nezzer's theater.
- The first episode to feature LarryBoy since Attack of the Marshmallow Laser.
- The first episode to feature LarryBoy in his original costume since The League of Incredible Vegetables.
- The first episode to feature Callie Flower in a main role.
- The first episode to not feature the following characters apart from most of them appearing in the theme song:
- Bob the Tomato (although he makes a cameo in the newspaper that LarryBoy reads)
- Junior Asparagus
- Pa Grape
- Jerry Gourd
- Mr. Lunt
- Mr. Nezzer
- The French Peas (although they make a cameo in the newspaper that LarryBoy reads)
- Madame Blueberry (although she was mentioned by LarryBoy as Mayor Blueberry)
- Petunia Rhubarb
- The first episode to feature Sean Chiplock and Melissa Mabie as voice actors.
- The first episode to be written by Adam Beechen.
- The first episode to not have a letter from a kid.
- The first episode to not have a verse at the end.
- The first appearance of Qwerty since Noah's Ark, as well as the first time Mike Nawrocki voiced him since Robin Good and His Not-So-Merry Men.
- The first episode to not be composed by Kurt Heinecke, as well as the first one composed by Michael Demus.
- The first episode to not include songs.
- The first episode of The VeggieTales Show where Miss Minchin has a speaking role, her first speaking role overall since Beauty and the Beet, and the first episode where she is voiced by Stephanie Southerland.
- The first LarryBoy-related episode in which Alfred does not refer to LarryBoy as "Master Larry."
- The first episode of The VeggieTales Show to introduce new characters.
- The first time William Dely worked on a Big Idea production since The Good, the Bad, and the Eggly.
- This is the third LarryBoy-centric episode to be based on telling the truth. The first two were Larry-Boy! and the Fib from Outer Space! and The Missing Jetpack, respectively.
- A few of the newly-introduced characters recycle character models from previously established characters:
- The episode uses the typical theme song for the series, which is set in Mr. Nezzer's theater. However, this episode takes place outside the theater.
- On the theater poster for "The Sound of Mushroom", Laura Carrot is seen in her original design, most particularly her Princess Poppyseed outfit from Princess and the Popstar and Lenny and the Lost Birthday.
- As Alfred calls Callie in the LarryMobile, his image displayed shows his monocle on his left eye, when in the episode it's resting on his right eye.
- In Callie's bedroom, some of the posters are just covers of previous LarryBoy episodes without the text.
- Also, one of the posters of LarryBoy displayed in her room is fan art by Nicolas Granola (nicknamed Nintega Dario online). Whether or not this was a mistake by the crew of the episode has yet to be confirmed. (see image)
- The same recording of Callie screaming, "My camera!" is used twice.
- Like many episodes released previously, there are shots where characters' noses are misplaced, floating beneath their eyes.
- On a billboard in Callie Flower's bedroom, certain stick-it notes with text are shown in reverse.
- There are a few mistakes made in the credits:
- They state that Mayor Blueberry makes an appearance in the episode, however, her character does not appear, although she is mentioned by LarryBoy.
- They also mistakenly credit Miss Minchin as Miss Achmetha.
- Models from previous LarryBoy episodes make appearances (with some small changes), including:
- Laura and Callie walking out of the theater at the beginning is a nod to the first two LarryBoy episodes.
- The movie posters outside the theater feature one of the Romans from MacLarry and the Stinky Cheese Battle, as well as Princess Poppyseed from Princess and the Popstar and one of the cheerleader peas from a few previous episodes.
- The hats in Caps for Chaps are reused from different VeggieTales episodes.
- The newspaper LarryBoy reads is the same one Mr. Lunt was reading in the previous episode.
- A portrait of Ephraim Apply from LarryBoy and the Bad Apple and one of Jacques' inventions from Blunders in Boo-Boo Ville can be seen in the Bumblyburg Science Museum.
- As Laura and Callie exit a movie theater, behind them are posters for films titled "Peas" and "The Sound of Mushroom", parodies of the films Grease and The Sound of Music, respectively.
- Callie Flower talks into a device named Eugenia, a parody of the virtual assistant Alexa, found in many products by Amazon.