|Where's God When I'm S-Scared?|
December 21, 1993
Where's God When I'm S-Scared? is the first episode of the Christian computer-animated series VeggieTales.
The first story deals with Junior's fear of monsters, while the second story is a retelling of Daniel and lionsden.
The episode starts when Bob reads a letter from a little girl who is afraid because their might be monsters in her closet.
- A crisper is the bottom drawer of a refrigerator. This is where poultry and produces should be stored.
- It was initially released on December 21, 1993 directly from Big Idea based on a "burn-on-demand"-like service, the first tapes being shipped out on December 21 (the day after the episode was finished).
- This marks the first appearance of Junior, his Dad, and Frankencelery.
- The shadows on the television show and the pupils are done by motion capture.
- Phil came up with the idea of the Daniel story as a musical after watching Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat".
- On the commentary, Mike Nawrocki that they should redo the episode with new animation and voices, just with the same script.
- The audio and visual quality on the rereleases are in a slightly lower. Phil apologized about this, stating it's been re-compressed over the years.
- The 15th anniversary DVD states it includes DVD-rom features, but there's none.
- When Frankencelery escapes, part of his head phases through the door entrance.
Real World References
- The first segment's title "Tale from the Crisper" is a spoof on HBO's "Tales from the Crypt".
- King Kong is a 1933 film.
- The music when the Wisemen were taking Daniel is reminiscence to Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho". However, this was removed in the the 15th anniversary DVD release.
- The scientist's voice would be used later for Jimmy.